This post may contain affiliate links
In my experience, the best way to ensure a super-productive day is to set myself up for one the night before. Having a nightly routine is a must to make that happen.
I was inspired to write this post to share my nightly routine with you so you can set yourself up for a super productive day too.
5 nightly routines for a productive day.
These nightly routines and activities will help you prepare and get in the right mind frame so you can start the day running.
You will become a better, more productive version of you both at work and home. Having a productive day creates a happy, fulfilled, and well-balanced life.
So, stay focused on these…
Quick tidy up.
Set aside approximately 10-20 minutes each evening to quickly tidy up around the house.
- You will no longer need to spend hours of your precious time on the weekends to tidy up and clean the house.
- By leaving things lying around, it creates potential distractions and loss of focus in the morning.
- Waking up and getting ready for work in a messy house can keep you from finding the things you need quickly.
Quick Actionable Tasks
- Fold laundry and put it away.
- In the kitchen, either load and unload the dishwasher, or wash your dishes after every meal.
- Try to put everything back in its place; magazines, books, etc.
If you continually lose items, like your keys or your phone, try using this cool device that helps you track down your precious items, so you’ll never lose them again.
Start tidying up every evening for 10-20 minutes, so the house is beautifully clean when you awake, and you can focus on what matters most in the morning.
Prepare for the Next Morning.
Prepare everything you’ll need the next day, so you don’t have to do it in the morning when you may be in a rush to get to work. What if you woke up late?
So moving on, what are the Key items to prepare each night?
-Layout tomorrow’s outfit, so it’s ready in the morning. This saves you the hassle of wasting time deciding what to wear.
-Pack snacks to take with you to work. And if you have no idea what kind of snacks will keep you energized during the day, here are few recommendations –
- Healthy Snack is a collection of 30 individually wrapped single-serve snacks. Which are also full of a flavorful mix of nutritious. Check the price here.
- Or you can try graze.com snack subscription where they will send you a well-packaged snack every week.
Choose the type of snacks you prefer so you can keep your body energized.
- Pack water to keep you hydrated during the day. I use this water bottle to carry water on the go. Here is the link if you want to check it out.
See, setting even basic things out the night before is a time-saver, and sets you for a more productive day tomorrow.
Focus on your 3’s (threes).
I like calling them the 3’s because that’s exactly what they should be–just 3. So, what are the 3s? These are the 3 must-do and most-important tasks you need to accomplish the next day.
The idea, basically, is that no matter what else you do tomorrow, these are the things you want to make sure you get done. Why set your threes at night?
You will be able to tackle the priorities first, rather than starting with what’s easiest.
- It helps you overcome feelings of being overwhelmed, trying to figure out where to start when there’s so much to do in a day.
- It will act as the guiding light of your day.
- It will help you stay organized, to get things done, and achieve your goals quicker.
How to set up your 3s? Ask yourself: What are the three most important things that will make the biggest difference in your life.
What task will make you feel like you have accomplished something huge? Those things are now your 3s, so make sure you set those during your evening routine.
Unplug from the world.
Let’s be honest. Unplugging is hard. Ok, just in case you are wondering—being unplugged is to be disconnected from the world and electronic gadgets.
It’s obvious; we are all overly attached to our technology. We keep checking our phones every time we hear a notification; we don’t want to miss out on anything. It’s a habit. A terrible habit.
Do you know what Charles Duhigg said? He said, “The best way to change an old habit is to introduce new habits to inhibit the old habit.”
That means if you want to learn how to unplug without feeling guilty, introduce a new habit to replace the old habit. Unplug from everything–laptop, TV, phone. Be screen-free each night before bed.
When I first started this, it was challenging. But I was persistent, and now it’s just my usual routine.
This is what I do.
- I replaced my bedroom light bulbs with this dim lampshade, which saves electricity costs as it is a low energy bulb.
Practice proper sleep hygiene.
If you’re a night owl or if you’re focusing on distractions and things to do, and it keeps you awake at night, it’s about time you replace those habits.
there are so many reasons that come with having proper sleep hygiene and below are posts about everything you need to know about sleeping.
- 10 Products That’ll Help You Sleep Like Never Before
- 5 simple tricks to help have a better night sleep.
- What lack of enough sleep does to our body.
Let agree that creating the habit of going to bed early will have a major impact in your life—a big change. If I were you, I would take it seriously, and work on it.
As we finalize
You have seen 5 simple, nightly routines. Now, it’s up to you to choose which routines you want to incorporate. Is it preparing for the next morning? Identifying your 3s? Tidying up? Or maybe starting a new unplugging routine?
In one way or another, this specifics nightly routine will help you to have a more productive day. Stay productive!
- 5 amazing ways to create the best morning routine that sticks.
- How to have a productive week.
- Positive self- affirmations that will change your life.
- 10 productive things to do on a Saturday