This post may contain affiliate links
If you had to pick a word right now to describe your current life situation, what would it be? Satisfied? Complicated? Somewhere in-between? Or maybe you don’t know how to describe it.
Not long ago, my life was really in bad shape. I was only sleeping about 4 hours, between 2 a.m. and 6:30 a.m., on average.Because I slept late, I would wake up late.
Subsequently, my day would start off late as well. I was always late for my appointments, meetings, often the last to arrive at family get-togethers–let alone find time to catch up with my friends.
On top of that, my diet was horrendous. I was eating lots of junk food and snacks, randomly buying take-out, which didn’t help with the budget. In fact, the budget was getting out of hand.
One–I was a spendthrift with nearly negative bank accounts. Two–I had petty debts, late bill payments; I didn’t even have an emergency fund.
With that kind of a lifestyle, I felt my life was becoming too complicated. I constantly felt like there just seemed to be too much to do and too little time to get it done.
It was even hard to maintain focus on anything at all, or get anything done. I was the queen-being of super-unproductiveness. It became worse month after month, and I didn’t want to continue down the same path.
I needed to revamp my lifestyle! I wanted to simplify things and just have a happy, productive, and less overwhelming life. So, one day I asked myself, “How can I simplify my life?” I made a decision, and I took action.
A few months later, I was a completely different person. In fact, everyone around me was surprised by the drastic change. So today I want to ask you something. Can you relate to any of my previous habits? If so, keep reading.
If you can relate to even one of them, then this post is for you. First, I want to say that you are not alone; I understand exactly how it feels because I’ve been there. So, when I wrote this post, I had you in mind.
I am only sharing the most practical and proven solutions you won't find anywhere else. I’m confident that by the end of this post you will be a different person; full of fresh ideas and practical solutions to simplify your life.
All you need to do is be ready to act. The recommendations I’ve provided here are for support. Create the time and energy to implement what fits into your life.
Must Read Related articles
10 QUICK THINGS TO SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE
Before we start, I want to quickly remind you of the reasons you need to simplify your life …
- You will reach your potential life goals.
- You will find inner peace and a happier life.
- You will feel freer with a better work and life balance.
- You will become a super productive and organized person.
- You will kill those sneaky overwhelming feelings that pop in uninvited.
lets gooo start a simplified life shall we
1.Eliminate anything that is not essential.
In a simpler term–declutter. This is when you get rid of the things you no longer need in your life. For example, let’s say you want to declutter your closet.
In this case, you will get rid of all those shoes, dresses, and sweaters that you haven’t worn in like six months, or even in some cases, years. And don’t forget those that don’t fit you anymore, etc.
This simple decluttering will …
- Create easy access to things you need. You will no longer have to go through lots of clutter before getting to what you’re looking for. With less distraction and quick access, this will save you tons of time.
- Create space for the most important items you truly need for everyday use.
Do you have old books you no longer use, old phones, DVDs, etc. that have been sitting on undusted shelves for months? Get rid of them.
And if you are wondering what to do with them, why not sell them on Declutrr.com or MusicMagpie Uk and make some extra cash in the process.One thing about decluttering is that we tend to hold on to things hoping they might become useful one day.
But Imagine a life surrounded by only the things you need. Isn’t that the life you want? To be surrounded only by things you love and use?
For more inspiration, consider reading Simplify: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone Declutter Their Home and Life.
With so much advancement in technology, almost anything can be automated from water bills, electrical bills, and any other subscriptions, etc.
Consider automatic payment methods, for example. Nearly all companies now have the option to enroll in an automatic payment system.
What you should know is that by setting up automation, you will …
- Save time, by no longer having to do it manually.
- Avoid accidental late payment fees.
- No more forgetting to pay on time.
- Once it’s set up, it’s hassle-free.
So why not simplify your life by setting up automatic payments, then forget it? You won’t have to think about it anymore.
- Figure out which bills, etc. in your life you can automate.
- Write them down and set them up one-by-one.
Make life simple by choosing automation payment systems.
A routine is simply the order in which you do things. There are two routines you can create to simplify your life …
- A morning routine is an order in which you do things every morning to prepare for your day.
- An evening routine is an order in which you do things every evening to finish your day and prepare for the next.
These two routines control your life. They can either make your life simple or complicate it further. Why should you create routines? Why not have an open schedule instead?
Here is how routines can help …
- You’ll stay organized throughout by knowing what do and when to do it.
- Your routines will act as a guide for the day.
- Routines will help you improve your overall health, well-being, and productivity.
While an open-ended random schedule–a go-with-the-flow kind of schedule–will only encourage disorganization. Randomness is a killer of progress. Remember–what gets scheduled, gets done.
If you are here wanting to simplify your life, this is how you’re going to do it.
Actions to take …
This weekend, on Sunday evening, create some daily morning and evening routines that you can stick to.
Remember–this is your life, and you need to do it in a way that works best for you.
For more inspiration, I recommend this book about how to create productive routine
If you never seem to have time to read books, I’m sure you can find time to listen to audiobooks instead. Click this link to listen to 2 free audio books this Is a limited-time offer.
Do you recognize the person you are and the things you do when you are alone with nobody around to criticize or judge you? That’s the real you.
Ok, let me explain. Being yourself is simply being the real you. How can you stay true to yourself? You can be yourself when you decide to let go of all the stories, labels, and judgments that you have placed on yourself.
Being yourself can simplify your life. When you decide to be yourself, your life will change and become more simple and free.
- You will stop worrying about what others think about you.
- You will start doing the things you enjoy.
- You will be able to say NO confidently and without feeling guilty.
- You will no longer feel the need to be a people-pleaser.
- Best of all, you will no longer have to hide who you are or change things to fit the person you think you should be.
Finally, you will start living a simple happy life.
“Be stupid, be dumb, be funny, if that's who you are. Don't try to be someone that society wants you to be; that's stupid. So be yourself.”
By Christina Grimmie
Start now and practice little-by-little until you can be yourself.
5.Simplify your meals.
Have you ever felt like cooking a meal takes forever; from planning the meal to grocery shopping, and preparation of the food itself?
I love food. But the amount of time and effort it takes and deciding what to eat every day is just overwhelming. So, to save my sanity, I had to make choices to simplify this side of life. Here is what I did.
I tried out meal planning services like
- $5 Meal Plan they will send you meal plans weekly and thus will know what cook and buy in grocery without stressing. You can get a 14-day free trial here to see if it works for you.
- HelloFresh will deliver easy-to-follow recipes with pre-measured ingredients straight to your doorstep. All you need is to cook. Try HelloFresh today and get first 2 meals free plus delivery.
And do you know what happened?
- I saved money.
- I spent less time at the grocery store.
- I started eating out less.
- My nutrition Improved as I started eating healthy, fresh food.
- I stopped getting overwhelmed with decisions when it comes to meals and food.
So, if you suck at meal planning, I suggest trying a few things below, see what works for you. I have tried and tested them all. Just click each of them to find what best fits your lifestyle.
If you want to simplify your cooking, why not try those options to see if they make a difference.
6.Create a daily WORKING to-do list.
A to-do list is simply a list of all the tasks you intend to accomplish during any given day or week. Creating a to-do list may seem a pretty straightforward thing to do, and I agree.
But here is where people go wrong. Many times they create a long, unrealistic, and ineffective to-do list only to end up feeling overwhelmed. If you create a healthy to-do list and use it correctly, then you will have simplified your life by far.
4 ways a to-do list can simplify your life …
- It will help you tackle the priority things first, rather than what’s easiest.
- It helps you overcome feelings of being overwhelmed.
- It will act as a guiding light for your day.
- It will help you stay organized with a healthy work-life balance.
So, here is a quick guide on how to create a healthy working to-do list that will simplify your life …
- Keep it short and simple.
- Focus on quality, not quantity.
- Write your list down in a planner like this one
- Lastly, always check your to-do list every night or first thing in the morning.
This way it’s pretty clear what’s expected of you as the day starts.
Action to take:
If your daily task list has become complicated and things never get done, do these two things …
- Try this planner.
- Follow the tips above step-by-step and make it work for you.
A to-do list will simplify your life by helping you get things done based on your priorities. For some inspiration, you can use this book as a guide
7.Learn to manage your personal finances.
When it comes to personal financial management, 3 things should come to mind
- How you save,
- How you spend,
- And how you budget your money.
These 3 things have a profound impact on your life. You see, I’ve been there. I was crappy at saving money, and I sucked at budgeting.
I can’t even remember how many times I have been broke, although things are better now. One thing I have come to realize is that managing money is a never-ending process.
Sometimes, I wish it was just another item on my to-do list I could check off and declare officially done. Unfortunately, that will never be the case. (insert sad emoji)
We all have to start somewhere, so don’t feel like it’s too late for you. If you want to simplify your life and feel freer, you should start to consider making managing your money a top priority.
Before I share with you the exact steps I took in managing my money, let me quickly remind you how proper finance management will simplify your life.
- You will be financially secured.
- Your bills will be paid on time.
- You will live the life you want and maybe even be able to afford a vacation with Airbnb.
- You will become financially independent and free of debt.
Isn’t that what you want?
Copy the same baby steps I took to simplify my finances.
- I bought this budget planner from here so as to guide me. I quickly filled in my finances to determine where my money was going and how I was spending it.
- I started using money-saving apps with websites like Swagbucks and Ebates to get cash back on online shopping. By the way, these services are free. Plus, when you sign up for Ebates through my link and make your first purchase, you will also receive a free $10 cash back.
- I started using Amazon Prime. I get most everything delivered to my house free, the latest movies and TV shows free, many of the latest books free, streaming music free, and 15% off grocery shopping with AmazonFresh. You can Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial.
- I started saving my left-over coins instead of letting them lie around everywhere. I used this to save.
- I started reading personal finance books. Here are the 4 books that helped me most:-
And, don’t forget–if you don’t have time to read why not download free audiobooks from audible.com.
Those are the tips I used and still use today, for my own financial management.
Like everyone else says, the important thing is working out a budget that works best for you, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. When you manage your financial life, then you will have a more simplified life.
8.Learn to manage your time.
Tell me, have you ever felt like everything is just everywhere? Does it feel like it’s getting harder to maintain your focus? Like so many things are waiting to be done and you face countless interruptions once you start a task?
And then you feel like it’s a miracle when something finally gets done. You are not alone. I’ve been there, and I understand how life can feel like it’s just too complicated.
Well, I’m here to tell you it’s not. All of this can be simplified by creating a good WORKING time-management plan.With good time management, your life can be simplified. Start with these steps …
- Try being more productive.
- Procrastinate less.
- Devote more time to self-care.
- Accomplish your goals, etc.
These things will give you a life with more freedom, which helps to decrease stress and pressure. I should also mention that time-management skills are different for everyone, and you need to find what works best for you.
Time for action.
Below is my quick time-management list that works for me and may want to borrow.
- I create a to-do list every Sunday covering the next 7 days. I use this planner, this pen, and this highlighter to tick items off the list once they’ve been completed.
- I sometimes use a time block system on my to-do list.
- Focus on one thing 100% of the time. In other words, do one thing at a time. Multitasking is not for me.
- I read books and listen to time management inspirations.
As you learn and maintain good time-management skills, you’ll find freedom from deadline pressure and stress in general. In addition, you’ll simplify your life.
9.Get and stay organized.
You know your life is disorganized when you want to wear something and you can’t find it, realizing it’s probably in the dirty pile of clothes from last week. Or when you are constantly late for work or meetings with friends.
You see, the list is long; I can go on and on. So, let’s move on, shall we? First, there is no magic overnight solution to getting organized and continuing to stay organized.
There are some little things you can do that will help you become more organized and stay organized though.
Actions to take …
- Devote exactly 20 minutes every day to tidying up.
- Wash and fold your laundry every day.
- Go paperless; pay your bills, and everything else, online.
- Put stuff where they are used, not where there’s space.
Schedule things. Remember–what gets scheduled, gets done.
Being organized, and staying organized, can simplify your life in the following ways.
- You will gain more self-confidence back and stop being embarrassed by clutter.
- You will be less stressed because you can find things when you need them. This will help you feel calmer and more relaxed.
- Get back control of your life.
Simplify your life. Start being more organized today. And if you’re new to organizing, remember that it’s a matter of practice.
10.Let go of perfectionism; aim for progress.
One word. Perfectionism. Just let that go. Let go of trying to be perfect. And how can you tell if you are a perfectionist? The following list will help …
- You leave no room for mistakes. When you see an error, you’re the first to jump on it and correct it.
- You have a very specific manner you think things should be done, and many times others don’t understand your need to do things in your specific way.
- You take an all-or-nothing approach. It’s either you do everything well, or you don’t do it at all.
- You have a keen eye for details.
Does any of this sound familiar? There’s nothing more useless than unfinished projects. But sometimes it’s easy to watch them stack up, isn’t it?
Take these actions to let go of perfectionism.
- Remind yourself that life is full of opportunities to learn, grow, and keep learning.
- Let yourself get started then produce something—even if it’s not perfect.
- Merge your expectations.
- Embrace experience and imperfection as learning opportunities.
- Tell yourself you can always go back later and amend or smooth it out later if needed.
Focusing on perfection will complicate your life, and it holds you back from progress. Use these steps as a guide and let go perfectionism. You will see how your life will be simplified.
To wrap things up, if you want to live a simplified life focus on these things …
- Plan your time wisely.
- Create working routines.
- Start creating a working to-do list.
- Get, and stay, organized.
- Have a meal planning system in place.
- Automate your bills, etc.
- Use proper finance management.
When you do all these, you will have simplified your life and created the life that you want. Simplicity will bring balance to your life, you will no longer feel trapped, or feel overwhelmed by a complicated life.
Before you go, I know change feels a bit overwhelming? I get it. But here’s what you can do …
- Share this post on your favorite social media channel. Then, when you want to refer to it you can just check your history, and it will be there. Also, by sharing, you will help someone in a similar situation.
Have You done that?
Happy simplified life!
Must Read Related articles
Over a million people have benefited from these posts below.
More On Make & Save money Hacks
Christmas gifts ideas